Friday, September 28, 2012

New and Improved Classroom

I am finally getting around to posting pictures and describing my classroom for the year.

I have worked extremely hard this past summer to research and rethink my current layout.  I knew what I had last year just wasn't right.  However, I felt horrible for switching up the layout and the way I do centers (more on centers in another post!) because some of the parents have been with me since I started teaching.  I didn't want them to think I don't know what I'm doing!

But despite these thoughts in my head, I went ahead and changed the classroom around.  What's my first goal?  To help student succeed, and parents would agree that!

Another reason I switched things around was because the accreditation team gave recommendations on creating different environments for the students.

Storage Solutions:


 When students are the Star of the Week, they will get the Mystery Letter Bag or the Number Bag during the week.  When they have the Mystery Letter Bag, students choose from 2 letters in a folder in the bag.  They will find something that starts with that letter and bring that for the Show and Tell.  This helps with Letter Sound Recognition.

The Number Bag is a concept that I got from another blog found here.  This will help accomplish more math throughout the year!
Journal Shelf.  Students have journals this year based on this idea!  Their binder portfolios will also go on this shelf once I get those started.
 Storing sentence strips and calendar months with binder clips and command hooks.

Classroom Setup


 Sign in system for our older class.  Our younger class just put their Apple Names on the board.  This helps them practice writing their name!
 Our BRAND new art shelf!  I am so excited that I found a less expensive version of the really fancy ones.  The kids have really got into finding what supplies I have there.  Some of the boxes are wrapped.  I slowly unwrap the presents to show what new supply is in there.  That way the students aren't overwhelmed with a ton of new tools to use.  I got this idea from www.prekinders.com
 Discovery Shelf/ Bible Shelf: All of our math manipulatives and science exploration tools are on this shelf.  Again, some of the tools are wrapped to not overwhelm!
 Center Time Bulletin Board:  Calendar, Weather Chart (based on a Pinterest picture!), Daily Schedule (my students love to say "CHECK!" when we accomplish something in our day.  In fact they yell it they love it so much!), a Number Line, and a Noise O Meter (again a Pinterest picture!)
 Quiet Center: Puzzles, Library, Potato Head, ABC Lacing Game, Whisper Phones, and Magnet Board
 Jesus Loves.... Board: Students draw a picture of themselves on the first day of school and we hang them up there.  I will put these in their portfolios at the end of the school year to see how they improved in their ability to draw themselves.
 Dramatic Play and Doll House
 Messy Area! Sand Table and Art Easel

 Listening Center:  I bought iPod Shuffles for the classroom and use my computer and an iPhone ding to record me reading the books.  Some books will be from a CD from Scholastic.
 Birthday Cupcakes, Let's Count Number Board (I change the number of items on the board each day.  The Count or Countess will help the class count and identify the correct number), and My Job Chart
Computer Center: Using my old laptop.  Working on finding Preschool friendly websites and computer games.

I finally feel like I know what I'm doing.  Three years in the making!  But I feel that makes a good teacher.  If you become stagnant in your teaching, then I feel you become ineffective.  Change is good!

Hope you enjoy the pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment